This Saturday 27th March we welcome in Earth Hour – a global scheme that sees millions of people, in over 180 countries, switch off their lights to show support for our planet.
Across our St James’s & Regent Street neighbourhood, we’re passionate about the environment and many of the brands who call our street home will be acknowledging Earth Hour in solidarity with us. From the North End of the street down to Oxford Circus, sweeping along the curve, through Piccadilly Circus and into St James’s and beyond, lights will be turned off at 8.30pm. We hope you’ll consider switching yours off, too.
While we’re still at home, you can also opt to experience the darkened planet from afar, as the very first virtual Earth Hour is set to take place. You can find out more about how to digitally join this event, as well as the mission behind the movement, here.
If you’re curious to learn more about what The Crown Estate will be doing around sustainability, please find more here. In short, we’re working hard to futureproof our destinations whilst supporting businesses, and our key initiatives include:
- A pledge to be Net Zero Carbon by 2030
- A commitment to be climate positive from 2030 onwards
- Working to provide and protect habitats (you can read more about our central London bee network for example, here)
- Ensuring wherever The Crown Estate sources energy this is from a certified renewable supply
- Discussing energy saving opportunities and supporting brands in our neighbourhood in achieving these goals